I began using Gmail on a regular basis for MKT 595. I like
creating Google Docs for the Hulafantastica Group and since we email back and
forth quite a bit, I did not want these emails bogging down my primary email account.
I stay logged into Gmail all day while at work so that I can
be in regular communication with my group. I also use Google as my main
search engine at work. I estimate that I use Google about 10 times an hour to
research a topic relevant to my job or a homework assignment.
Over time, I began to notice that Google was remembering completely
abstract and random phrases I would type in to the Google search bar. About 3 months ago, I
typed in, “Why cancer friendships are immediate.” I sort of believe in and am
very interested by the types of relationships I have with different signs. I
tend to immediately hit it off with Cancers and I almost never hit it off with
Leos. Anyway, I searched that phrase for more information about why I click with other fellow Cancers immediately.
Then, yesterday, I began typing, “why c......” and my
three-month old search of “Why cancer friendships are immediate” automatically
appeared in the Google search bar. This is not even what I was typing. I
actually wanted to know “why cardiothoracic surgeons engage in the FOCUS
Initiative.”
At this point, I realized Goggle was remembering EVERYTHING
I searched while I was signed into my Gmail account. I kid you not….my stomach
formed into a HUGE knot and I actually felt sick when I realized that my entire
search history was on record, even if only I could see this search history.
For the first time ever, I was so creeped out by my Gmail account. So I immediately searched how to clear this search history and found this website. However, these directions were not even clear to me and I had to visit several blogs and websites to figure out how to delete my search history and how to shut off the automatic tracking of my searches.
For the first time ever, I was so creeped out by my Gmail account. So I immediately searched how to clear this search history and found this website. However, these directions were not even clear to me and I had to visit several blogs and websites to figure out how to delete my search history and how to shut off the automatic tracking of my searches.
I know I am naive for not realizing earlier how Google
tracks searches, but I still feel sickened over the whole thing. There were
things I searched back in 2009 in my account and now, I actually feel
victimized a bit!!
And this is why I will continue to use a .me email account....because Apple doesn't track every random search I make!!
C-R-E-E-P-Y!! Perfect post for Halloween! I got more scared over being tracked by Google than I did watching a scary movie this weekend!
And this is why I will continue to use a .me email account....because Apple doesn't track every random search I make!!
C-R-E-E-P-Y!! Perfect post for Halloween! I got more scared over being tracked by Google than I did watching a scary movie this weekend!
Users Beware: Google will track each keystroke. Enter at your own risk!

Definitely creepy! I checked out the links you provided on how to turn this off and it turns out I guess I already did so in my distant past somewhere. So, there is that.
ReplyDelete