Saturday, September 8, 2012

Red Cross: It Can Even Handle a Twitter Tornado!

Hurricanes, tsunamis, twisters.....and Twitter Tornadoes?! Yes, Red Cross was also able to handle a twitter crisis that occurred in February 2011 when one of its employees posted a personal tweet on Red Cross's official twitter page. An employee posted:


This employee then quickly realized her error and called it a HootSuite blunder. Red Cross responded to the crisis by actually playing into the theme of the original tweet:


I learned about this famous Twitter blunder from a guest speaker in another marketing class and on CNN. And I believe this is a great example of the "crisis response" Professor Moore mentioned in the lecture when referring to FUN REACT.

Tweet wisely, everyone! As Professor Moore also lectured about, there are blogging and microblogging risks you must be aware of (like learning how to use HootSuite)!

4 comments:

  1. The Red Cross is just lucky this comment wasn't as appalling as the blunder Chrysler made: http://huff.to/gxzufc

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is always good that we can learn from the microblogging mistakes of others!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have several interesting posts in your blog. As a practical matter, I think I'm going to try the software you suggest. It sounds like it is pretty good.

    I think this post on microblogging mistakes is interesting because it shows a good example of the risk of blogging as well as an excellent method of 'message/damage control' once the mistake was made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As much as it is awful that these microblogging blunders happen, I cannot help but to see humor in them. And I think that is the key -- if the mistake is not egregious and the company has a great crisis planning team, then the situation can actually be used to further the company’s publicity!

    ReplyDelete