I visited a restaurant, Lou Mitchells, for the first time today. This restaurant is located in the west loop, so I automatically
assumed it would not be busy on a Sunday morning. But it was PACKED. You could
be seated in either booths, or long, communal tables. The introvert in me
screamed “please don’t sit me at a communal table,” to the lady seating us. Low
and behold, my friend and I were sat across from each other at a communal table.
I sucked it up and tried to talk quietly so that no one could
hear what I was saying. I kept my elbows off the table not to show great
manners, but so as to not enter within the space of the two people next to me.
Once our food came, I began to settle into the crammed, loud
and no-personal-space atmosphere. But then an amazing thing happened. My friend
started to talk to a stranger when he overheard this stranger mention nuclear
submarines. My friend interrupted this stranger to say he once studied nuclear
engineering and then they both continued to talk about everything nuclear for
about 10 minutes!
What struck me was this – here were these two strangers who
were randomly assigned to sit next to each other talking and communicating without
the help of an electronic device. Just like the olden days! I am rarely in
situations anymore where strangers talk to each other, unless it is via some
sort of computer screen. So as my friend and this stranger talked, I smiled to
myself that a real life connection was made. And I also silently giggled to
myself about how a conversation about nuclear submarines is not something you
could summarize in a 140 character tweet.
To top it all off, as we walked away from Lou Mitchells,
this stranger drove by in his car, rolled down the window and told us to “have
a great day.” Although you could write that in a tweet, hearing it come from
someone who I will never see again and from someone who genuinely meant what he
said made me want to throw away my phone forever!

No comments:
Post a Comment