She lists the top 5 mistakes she sees people make in
SEO. I think two of these mistakes, a missing value proposition and segmentation, tie in perfectly with this week's lecture.
1) Creating a Website Before Identifying a Value Proposition
Ohye proposed that companies forget to create and promote their value proposition. If I own a cupcake business in Chicago, my company is a dime by the dozen. And so, BEFORE I create or write copy for my website, I must answer the following questions:
Ohye proposed that companies forget to create and promote their value proposition. If I own a cupcake business in Chicago, my company is a dime by the dozen. And so, BEFORE I create or write copy for my website, I must answer the following questions:
- How can I distinguish myself as a shiny half-dollar in this popular market?
- What makes Jackie D’s Cupcakes different than Sprinkles?
Well, if you buy Jackie D’s cupcakes, you get an amazing
taste with half the calories of a regular cupcake! And we offer discounts on
large orders. And so, when thinking of ways to optimize my website and in
writing copy, I need to emphasize these value with sentences like:
- Jackie D’s cupcakes will quell your sweet tooth with half the calories as a regular cupcake!
- We sell cupcakes with half the calories so that you can have sugar without the guilt.
- Do you want to order a large amount of cupcakes? If so, expect to see a 10% discount when ordering above 20 cupcakes.
2) SEO Segmentation
All parts of your integrated marketing communications (IMC) campaign should relay the same message and your website should be optimizing this consistent message with specific terms.
An example of SEO segmentation is when Hyundai launched its edityourown.com campaign during the 2009 Superbowl. Even though edityourown.com quickly garnered a large amount of search interest, earning the #36 spot on Google hot trends, it did not show up at all within a natural search. This was a direct result of Hyundai failing to optimize the words “edit your own” on their main page and in other aspects of their IMC campaign. Had Hyundai consistently used and optimized these words, “edityourown” may have displayed on a natural search.
And therefore, the main point here is that all IMC campaigns within a company should optimize the same keywords and relay the same consistent message. Whether you are watching a commercial, seeing a billboard, reading an ad, listening to the radio or visiting a company website directly, you, as the consumer, should be exposed to the same message. And when you see the same message, you subconsciously remember the keywords and help the company with SEO. To further prove this point, google the words “just do it.” Surely, you know what will come up on the natural search!
All parts of your integrated marketing communications (IMC) campaign should relay the same message and your website should be optimizing this consistent message with specific terms.
An example of SEO segmentation is when Hyundai launched its edityourown.com campaign during the 2009 Superbowl. Even though edityourown.com quickly garnered a large amount of search interest, earning the #36 spot on Google hot trends, it did not show up at all within a natural search. This was a direct result of Hyundai failing to optimize the words “edit your own” on their main page and in other aspects of their IMC campaign. Had Hyundai consistently used and optimized these words, “edityourown” may have displayed on a natural search.
And therefore, the main point here is that all IMC campaigns within a company should optimize the same keywords and relay the same consistent message. Whether you are watching a commercial, seeing a billboard, reading an ad, listening to the radio or visiting a company website directly, you, as the consumer, should be exposed to the same message. And when you see the same message, you subconsciously remember the keywords and help the company with SEO. To further prove this point, google the words “just do it.” Surely, you know what will come up on the natural search!
I am much more of a visual learner, so this video is fantastic! I love her approach in identifying common mistakes she sees, and I really appreciate their time to create a channel to help users. I'll definitely be spending time review the other videos. I also think you're comments about consistent keywords and messaging spanning a campaign is something that often is overlooked (even though it seems so obvious).
ReplyDeleteHi Josh, I am glad you found this video as useful as I did!
ReplyDeleteAlthough I sometimes disagree with Google's cult of secrecy, it is videos like this that make me think that Google, although protective of itself, DOES want website makers and viewers to have the best, most relevant experience possible.